34 Commerce Crescent
North Bay ON P1A 0B4
Suite 110, 66 Elm St.
Sudbury ON P3C 1R8
Suite 218, 400 Bayfield St.
Barrie ON L4M 5A1
These days, everyone seems to be embracing the “bigger is better” trend. From larger mobile devices in the tech world, to entertainment industry A-listers – like Beyonce and Kim Kardashian – who seem to be “all about that bass.” But when it comes to beauty, any esthetic school graduate can tell you that this trend has been around for quite some time. The fascination with voluptuous lips and larger-than-life eyes is nothing new.
If you haven’t taken esthetic courses, you might not have that essential insider knowledge of how to pump up the volume with your lip and eye makeup. Read on for all the tips and tricks you’ll need to stay on trend – and turn heads – at your next holiday party.
Don’t get stuck in a beauty rut by using the same basic makeup techniques daily. Add some “oomph” to your look by trying out some of these application tips:
– Choose a shade that’s slightly lighter than your skin
– Blend under and around the eyes to correct dark circles and illuminate the area
– Use an eyelash curler to curl the lashes (hold for ten seconds per eye)
– Apply a generous amount of mascara once lashes have been curled
– Using a dark liner, apply a thin line along the base of the upper lashes (start from the inner corner and move outwards), and then curve the line up slightly at the outer corner to provide lift.
– Use a white eye pencil to colour the waterline, this will open the yes and make them appear larger
– Brush a darker shadow (try a medium brown) along the crease of the eyes
– Begin at the outer corner of the eyes and brush inward and up towards the tip of the eyebrow
– Apply a light, shimmery eyeshadow to the center of the lids, under the brow bones, and on the inner corners of the eyes
– The shimmer will catch the light and brighten the eyes
– With a soft-bristled toothbrush and lip scrub, exfoliate the lips regularly to boost circulation
– Moisturize with a lip balm after exfoliating
Homemade lip scrub recipe:
A small container to store
1 tbs brown or white sugar
½ tsp of honey (your favourite oil can be used here too: olive, coconut etc.)
A drop of your favourite flavour extract to add scent (optional)
– Apply concealer to the entire surface of lips
– Use a lip liner (shade similar to lips) to draw a line around the mouth that is slightly outside the natural lip line. Then, soften edges that appear darker or rough and apply lipstick.
– Avoid using dark coloured lipsticks and glosses, as they will have a slimming effect on the lips
– Use a lighter lipstick shade and apply a shiny gloss to create the illusion of plumpness
– Apply a white or nude eye pencil to the cupid’s bow and blend slightly
– Use a light brown eye pencil beneath the lower lip line to create the illusion of a lip-plumping shadow
– Use lip products (balms and glosses) that have any type of mint as an active ingredient
– Mint is a natural lip enhancer – it boosts blood flow making the lips luscious and pink